Friday, February 17, 2012

Among Other Things

The past two years have been all about my quest to get pregnant. I was just thinking that it's a good thing I'm a healthy person in general, otherwise I could have let some serious issues go by the wayside.  Putting off needed doctor's appointments and testing for sitting in my RE's office waiting for a date with Mr. Wandy.

I have always derived a sort of pleasure out of going to the doctor and checking 'No' next to every condition listed on medical history sheet.  The cherry on top was to be able to write 'N/A' next to "List of Current Medications".  (Although, I admit, it would be better to write that I at least took a multi-vitamin.)  Still. I enjoy being an overall healthy person who gets to tell the doc that I don't smoke, I don't use drugs, I drink occasionally, and that I've never had an STD. (Pats self on back.)

So, today  I have an appointment at the dermatologists.  I would love to be able to address my concerns over my face and come up with a game plan for after the babies are born for treating my rosacea.  In case any of you are unfamiliar with rosacea, from the U.S. National Library of Medicine: Rosacea is a chronic skin condition that makes your face turn red and may cause swelling and skin sores that look like acne. Symptoms: redness of the face; blushing or flushing easily; A lot of spider-like blood vessels of the face called telangiectasia, red nose (called a bulbous nose), acne-like skin sores that may ooze or crust, burning or stinging feeling in the face, irritated, bloodshot, watery eyes.

I have to admit that I don't exhibit all of the symptoms listed above, but I have everything up to and including the spider-like veins.  All of the symptoms after that are describing people who have advanced stages of the condition.

When I lived in Pittsburgh, I saw a dermatologist regularly for my rosacea and had a few sessions of intense-pulsed light therapy (IPL).  This is really the only thing that gave me visible results. There are some topical treatments, but I was never able to see much of a difference in my skin using the lotions I was prescribed.  I know now that I am pregnant, I won't be able to start IPL sessions until after the babies arrive, but I want to get in and be seen and  maybe even set up my first treatment for early/mid June.

I've always felt that if there is something I can do for myself to make me feel better and to give my self-confidence a boost, I am going to do it. Living with adult acne is hard. Especially when the redness and sores are under the skin, where you can't easily get to them and treat them by using the popular treatments they advertise on television.  I've made it through thirty one years of life and my chief medical complaint is acne. I'm a lucky girl. But I'll be damned if I'm going to just lie down and take it.

2 comments:

  1. I have mild rosacea: redness and veins, but no acne. I refused to use the creams or take the antibiotics. Drinking less alcohol and not eating spicy foods helps. I've yet to do the laser treatment, but would love to try it. Especially if they could take care of my crows feet at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really recommend the IPL. You should look into it! My diet right now is pretty good actually - mainly bland foods, but I do enjoy the occasional spicy meal or night of debauchery (when not pregnant, of course).

      Delete