Thursday, December 1, 2011

You Gotta Pick and Choose Your Battles

So, I spent most of Monday evening just being generally annoyed that my OB never got back to me about my request for Zo.fran.  I went to bed nauseous, woke up nauseous and all morning Tuesday plotting how I would chew the nurses out for not getting back to me.  Thankful for common sense, I called the pharmacy just to make sure that there wasn't a prescription waiting for me.  Well, there was.  Since the day before. Oops.

I rushed off to pick it up and just couldn't wait to gobble it up and start feeling semi-human again.  I took my first dose immediately and six hours later, like clockwork, I took my second.  I was feeling great.  Until I wasn't feeling great. At all.

I woke up at 11:30 Tuesday night with a splitting headache. Like full-on migraine pain.  After I rolled back and forth on the bed holding my face in my hands for a good hour, I got up and staggered to the kitchen for a cup of tea. I figured a little caffeine would probably do the trick. Wrong. Three hours later, I was plotting driving myself to the ER.  You see, typically, when I have a migraine, at some point I puke.  That signals a turning point in the headache.  After puking, I always am able to go to sleep and when I wake up, I'm better.  Well, there would be no puking this time. You see, I was on Zo.fran and couldn't throw up. I wasn't even nauseated. Just had severe head/neck pain.  Anyway, at some point, I fell asleep.

I woke up to my DH saying goodbye as he was heading off to work and wondering why I was sleeping with a "towel on my face" (it was a washcloth).  He was completely unawares of the night I had.  When he left, I got up and went out to the kitchen, feeling a little better and eager to eat a little something even though my nausea was sneaking up on me again.  After I gagged down a piece of toast, I reached for my Zo.fran.  Before I could take the pill, I checked out the side of the bottle and there it was. Plain. As. Day.

"May Cause Headaches"

Well, eff that.

5 comments:

  1. Have you tried taking Unisom and B6? As recommended by my OB and MFM, I take one Unisom and 50 mg of B6 at bedtime and 50 mg of B6 when I get up in the morning. It has kept me sane. For real, I forgot to take the nightly dose last Wednesday and I spent all day Thursday throwing up. It works better than Zofran for me, without any side effects beyond the sleepiness caused by the Unisom. It's worth a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zofan definitely stops nausea,but it gave me horrible headaches also. Have you tried phenegan? It makes most people really sleepy though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you poor thing!! I dont know whats worse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh!! How horrible! :-( I love the way you tell stories though :-) Man, I hope you can figure something better out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! I'm sorry. I took Unisom and B6 for morning sickness. It made a world of difference. Of course, ask your doctor first. :)

    ReplyDelete